John A. DeGasperis, Esq.

What to Know About Drunk Driving Accidents in New York

Get Your Free Case Evaluation

Drunk driving accidents are serious. If you were injured in one, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Reach out to our firm today to speak with a dedicated and experienced Ulster County drunk driving accident lawyer. Our legal team is prepared to fight on your behalf and obtain the compensation you deserve.

What should I do if I was injured in a drunk driving accident?

If you were hit by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries and burdens. If you would like to pursue legal action, you will want to ensure you are taking the following steps after your accident if you are able:

  1. Call 911. The police can dispatch an ambulance while also documenting the accident and conducting a breathalyzer test on the driver.
  2. Exchange insurance information with the other vehicle involved and be sure to keep your communication at a minimum.
  3. Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident.
  4. Seek medical attention to ensure that you are properly treating your injuries. Also, be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of medical documentation outlining the severity and origin of your injuries.
  5. Retain the services of a skilled Ulster County drunk driving accident lawyer that can help you obtain any other vital pieces of evidence.

What are New York’s dram shop laws?

In New York and a number of other states, dram shop laws have been put in place to protect victims of drunk driving accidents. Basically, New York’s dram shop law states that any establishment that serves alcohol to someone who is either under the age of 21 or someone who is “visibly intoxicated” may also be held responsible, in the event that that person causes an accident and injures another person. This suggests that if you were injured by a drunk driver, you will more likely than not be able to pursue legal action against the establishment that served the driver as well as the driver for compensation.

What type of compensation can I recover from a drunk driving accident?

In New York, you can obtain both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to the financial cost of an injury, such as medical expenses, lost wages, and more. On the other hand, non-economic damages refer to the damages that are more intangible, such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and more.

Contact Our Experienced New York Firm