John A. DeGasperis, Esq.

Ulster County Work Injury Lawyer

Get Your Free Case Evaluation
Ulster County Work Injury Lawyer

Sustaining an injury on the job is stressful, as you are both hurt and are no longer able to work for a paycheck. Fortunately, with an experienced Ulster County work injury lawyer on your side, you may recover the compensation you need to cover the cost of your injury until you are ready to rejoin the workforce once again. Contact John A. DeGasperis, Esq. today to learn more about how our legal team can help you.

Will I Need an Ulster County Work Injury Lawyer?

Workplace injuries are often complex, as it can be unclear whether it is best to file a workers’ compensation claim or a third-party claim, depending on the circumstances of your injury. Our Ulster County personal injury lawyer is here to effectively guide you through the legal process ahead.

What to do After a Workplace Accident

After being involved in a workplace accident, it is critical that you take several steps to document the facts of the incident. They are as follows:

  1. If you are seriously injured, call 911. They will send emergency services to the scene and write up a police report of the incident.
  2. Notify your supervisor/employer of your accident.
  3. Take pictures of the unsafe conditions that caused your accident.
  4. Get treated by a doctor and receive a copy of all medical documentation associated with your injuries.
  5. Speak with an experienced Ulster County work injury lawyer as soon as you can.

Workers’ Compensation Claims

In New York State, all for-profit and most non-profit employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If you were injured on the job, you will most likely first file a workers’ compensation claim, which essentially means that you are seeking compensation for your injury from your employer’s insurer–not your employer him/herself.

Bear in mind that though it is always best to notify your employer of your injury as soon as possible, you are required to do so within 30 days of the injury occurring if you wish to file a workers’ compensation claim. From here, you will have two years from the date of your accident to file your workers’ compensation claim. If granted, you should receive compensation to help cover your medical bills and a portion of your lost wages.

Third-Party Claims

In some cases, the amount recovered in workers’ compensation insurance benefits does not fully cover the cost of an injury. When this happens, our firm can file a third-party claim, wherein we will look to hold a liable third party (not your employer) accountable for your injuries. This can include property owners, building architects, product designers/manufacturers, and more. In New York, you will have three years from the date of your accident to file a third-party personal injury claim, in accordance with the state’s statute of limitations.

Contact an Ulster County Work Injury Lawyer

If you’ve been injured on the job, the best thing you can do is speak with a knowledgeable attorney who has handled countless workers’ compensation and third-party claims in the past. John A. DeGasperis, Esq. is here to help. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation with our firm.